Food & beverage businesses

Good food safety is the foundation of any food business. Local businesses that serve food to the public are regulated by Murray River Council and the NSW Food Authority.

How we monitor food safety

We work with food businesses to monitor and improve hygiene standards through inspections and education. We also advise and approve new businesses, check for contamination, follow up on complaints and make sure businesses comply with the food safety laws and standards.

Food safety inspections

Our environmental health officers regularly inspect food businesses and advise them about hygiene practices. These inspections may include microbial analysis of food-contact surfaces and other possible sources of cross-contamination.

Contact us for advice on food safety or complaints about food quality, contaminated food or unclean premises.

Food Safety Supervisor (FSS)

Most food businesses are required to have at least one staff member trained and appointed as a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS). The training requirements must be undertaken via an approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

It is a requirement that the Food Safety Supervisor Certificate be easily accessible on the food business premises and able to be produced to an Authorised Officer upon request.

For more information please visit NSW Food Authority.

Name and shame register

The NSW Food Authority’s name and shame scheme publicises food businesses that fail to meet certain standards. Visit the Food Authority website for more information on offences.

Registration with Council

The Food Act requires that all permanent, mobile and temporary food businesses be registered with the relevant authorities prior to commencing trade. To register your food business with Murray River Council, complete the Retail Food Registration form on this page and email us prior to commencing any food handling operations. Fees apply.

Notify us of any changes

If your business closes, stops trading, moves, opens another business, sells to a new owner or changes its trading name, please contact us and speak with one of our Environmental Health Officers. We may contact you if we need more information. There’s no fee involved.


You can access the Retail Food Business Registration From here.

Related information