Alcohol free zone for special events
We have an established alcohol free zone in Meninya Street/Cobb Highway, Moama from the intersection of Perricoota Road to the Victorian border for the following special events:
- New Years Eve and New Years Day
- Southern 80 Ski Race weekend - Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Easter Weekend - Good Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Easter Monday
The alcohol free zone applies for 24 hours of each day.
Appropriate signage is erected to enable adequate promotion to the public prior and during these special events.
Reasons supporting an alcohol free zone
Echuca Moama is a significant tourist destination and the special events mentioned above see peak visitation to the area. The community and local police support the alcohol free zones as irresponsible behaviors such as vandalism, violence and littering have been experienced.
Other alcohol free zones
- Kerrabee Soundshell Public Reserve, Moama - located off Meninya Street Moama
- Moama Beach - roads and beach
- Soldiers Memorial Gardens, Mathoura - located on the cnr of Livingstone and Lawrence Streets Mathoura
All are alcohol free zones under Section 632 of the Local Government Act 1993. These zones are in operation 24 hours per day 7 days per week. Appropriate signage has been erected in these areas.