Principal Certifying Authority

What is a Principal Certifying Authority?

If you are renovating or extending your home, building a new home or undertaking a commercial development, you need to appoint a Principal Certifying Authority who will certify that the construction works by your builder comply with Australian Building Legislation.  

Appointment of a Principal Certifying Authority  

Prior to any building or subdivision work being carried out, a Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate must be approved and a Principal Certifying Authority must be appointed for the development.

To appoint Council or an Accredited Private Certifier as your Principal Certifying Authority this must be done via the NSW Planning Portal.

If you appoint an Accredited Private Certifier they are to notify Council 2 days before commencing any building work.

Replacing a Principal Certifying Authority

To replace your existing Principal Certifying Authority you will need to visit the NSW Planning Portal

Related information