State and local planning legislation, strategies, controls and policies designed to address a variety of specific planning issues influence development decisions in Murray River Council.
Depending on where you live and where you want to build different rules and regulations may apply. The majority of these are outlined in the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, the State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPs), the Local Environmental Plans (LEPs) and the Development Control Plans (DCPs).
There are also a number of maps, plans and policies designed to address specific issues like minimum lot sizes, heritage and hazard affected areas such as bushfires.
What is a Local Environmental Plan (LEP)?
Local Environmental Plans (LEPs) guide planning decisions for our local government area. They do this through zoning and development controls, which provide a framework for the way land can be used.
Murray River Council LEPs
We have two LEPs in our local government area:
- The Murray Local Environmental Plan 2011, and
- Wakool Local Environmental Plan 2013
To identify zoning and other information relating to a parcel of land, use the 'find a property' search on the NSW Planning Portal. This free online tool shows the planning rules that apply for properties across NSW.
Development Control Plans (DCPs) supplement the Local Environment Plans (LEPs) by providing more detailed controls regarding aspects like building design, landscaping, car-parking, etc. Under Section 79C of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 we are required to take the DCP into consideration when assessing Development Applications (DAs).
There are two DCPs and a number of appendices that apply to the Murray River Council area - see below.
- Murray Development Control Plan 2012
- Wakool Development Control Plan 2013
- Wakool Development Control Plan 2013 Appendix 6A Flooding Nth
- Wakool Development Control Plan 2013 Appendix 6B Flooding Sth
- Wakool Development Control Plan 2013 Appendix 6C Moorings Barham
- Wakool Development Control Plan 2013 Appendix 6D Moorings Moulamein
- Wakool Development Control Plan 2013 Appendix 6E Moorings Tooleybuc
- Wakool Development Control Plan 2013 Appendix 6F Sandhills Nth
- Wakool Development Control Plan 2013 Appendix 6G Sandhills Sth