Principal Certifying Authority

If you are renovating or extending your home, building a new home or undertaking a commercial development, you need to appoint a Principal Certifying Authority who will certify that the construction works by your builder comply with Australian Building Legislation. 

Appointment of a Principal Certifying Authority 

Prior to any building or subdivision work being carried out, a Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate must be approved and a Principal Certifying Authority must be appointed for the development.

To appoint Council or an Accredited Private Certifier as your Principal Certifying Authority, this must be done via the NSW Planning Portal when submitting the above applications.

You can find out more about these applications here.

If you appoint an Accredited Private Certifier they are to notify Council 2 days before commencing any building work.