The construction process

Building work cannot commence until a Construction Certificate (CC) has been issued by a Certifying Authority, which can be either Council or a Private Certifier. 

A Construction Certificate verifies that the detailed design of a building complies with the National Construction Code and meets the statutory requirements of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979 and its regulations.   

Here’s a quick overview of the process:

Application for Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate

A construction certificate is an approval to carry out building work or subdivision work in accordance with a development consent. You must obtain a Construction Certificate before works can commence.

Issue a Construction Certificate / Complying Development Certificate

Council will issue a Construction Certificate after they are satisfied that:

  • the construction certificate plans and specifications are consistent with the development consent
  • the development complies with the Building Code of Australia and all relevant technical standards
  • all required conditions of development consent have been complied with and
  • all fees and contributions have been paid.

Appointment of Principal Certifying Authority

When Council is nominated as the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) it is required to inspect the building work during the course of construction to ensure compliance with the development consent, construction certificate or complying development certificate and building regulations.

You can find out more about appointing Council as the PCA here.

Notice of commencement

Council must be notified of the intended commencement of works at least 2 days prior to the commencement of any works. 

Critical stage inspections

As your Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) we will give you a list of the mandatory critical stage inspections and any other inspections required throughout the construction of the building.  Under the provisions of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, these inspections are mandatory.  You need to be aware of these inspections as they are required to be carried out at the appropriate time.

Your principal contractor (builder) will need to contact Council at least 48 hours before an inspection is required.  If you are an owner-builder, you will need to contact Council at least 48 hours before an inspection is required.

Issue of Occupation Certificate

Prior to the occupation or the use of any building an occupation certificate must be issued by the PCA. The occupation certificate verifies that the PCA is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy. You can find our more about applying for an occupation certificate here.

In the case of buildings other than single residential dwellings, dual occupancies and associated development (such as a garage), the application must be accompanied by a fire safety certificate.